General Scholarships Available
DEADLINE: June 30, 2013
Oklahoma Students see section in red below.
There are scholarships made available each year, dependent on, the proceeds of the Trail of Tears Remembrance and Motorcycle Ride.
Application and Information for next year will be posted here by August
Click Here for PDF version of the Application
TRAIL OF TEARS REMEMBRANCE ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
DEADLINE: June 30, 2013
These are scholarships made available each year dependant on the proceeds of the Trail of Tears Remembrance and Motorcycle Ride. Scholarships in Alabama,
Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, and Oklahoma as funds are available. Students wishing to apply for these scholarships should submit the an application to:
Submit To: Bill Cason
909 Dennis Ave., Jasper, TN 37347-2902.
Awards will be announced by October 30, 2013.
You will only be contacted if you are awarded the scholarship.
PROCEDURES FOR RECOMMENDATION AND AWARDING
Trail of Tears Remembrance Association, Inc. is awarding scholarships to students of Native American descent, from tribes originating in the Southeast. The students awarded these scholarships shall have demonstrated successful academic performance and financial need. Applicants must provide evidence of enrollment in a Federal or State recognized tribe OR be able to verify 1/16 Native American heritage. It is possible for the scholarship recipient to continue the award until graduation upon acceptance by reapplying annually. Academic achievement & financial situations will be a consideration.
* Applicants must also submit the following with the application:
Transcript from last school attended.
One Page Cover Letter Expressing How This Scholarship Will Help & How You Can Assist The Native American Community In The Future
Letter Of Recommendation From Tribe or School Official
You Will Be Required To Contribute 30 Volunteer Hours For The Trail of Tears Remembrance Motorcycle Ride or Your Tribe. (See 2nd Page For Details)
Alabama Students Submit To: Trail of Tears Attn: Ellen Pittman, 6637 County Line
Road 33 - Hollywood, AL 35752
All other Students Submit To: Bill Cason 909 Dennis Ave Jasper, TN 37347-2902
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Questions 6 - 8: Please use your 2011 income tax return information. If you live independently of your parents and received no financial support or if you are married and do not receive support from your parents, please indicate that and skip and go to questions 9 – 13
- If your parent’s financial situation has changed and will be different for 2013, please indicate that with an explanation.
- Question 9 – If you did not work in 2012 but plan to in 2013, submit your estimated income for the year.
- Question 15 – Please list all financial aid you will be receiving for the 2013/2014 school year: scholarships, grants, endowments, etc.
- Scholarships will be awarded if fund are available.
- You will only be contacted if you are awarded the scholarship.
- Applicant must provide evidence of enrollment in a Federal or State recognized tribe OR be able to verify 1/16 Native American heritage.
- Complete Transcripts must be attached; reports cards will not be accepted
- Cover Letter (one page) Expressing How This Scholarship Will Help & How You Can Assist The Native American Community In The Future
- One Letter Of Recommendation From Tribe or School Official
- You Will Be Required To Contribute 30 Volunteer Hours For The Trail of Tears Remembrance Motorcycle Ride or Your Tribe. Volunteer hours can include selling Trail of Tears merchandise at other Native American events or at the Trail of Tears Remembrance, assisting at powwows, however, just dancing or participating in a powwow does not qualify. You must perform the volunteer hours within the year you received the scholarship and provide documentation from a Trail of Tears Remembrance Association, Inc. board member or Tribal representation stating that you have fulfilled your hours.
Questions: 256-740-4141 or email@example.com
For further information please contact:
909 Dennis Ave.
Jasper, TN 37347-2902
(423)942-6868 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Dunn - (423)842-6770 or TOTRAI@hotmail.com
Ellen Pittman - (256)574-6805
6637 County Line Road 33
Hollywood, AL 35752